Wednesday, June 5, 2013

G-Free Oatmeal, Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (DELISH)

I was looking for something fabulously yummy yet healthy that we could enjoy for breakfast...on those mornings where time is not on our side! Getting 2 kids plus myself out of the house by 815 has been quite interesting, especially when Brexton enjoys lounging before breakfast and really dislikes getting dressed. He would much rather run around the house naked than eat breakfast, get clothes on and especially have his shoes put on. Maddox would much rather watch countless hours of TV and have a picnic breakfast on a blanket in front of said TV...imagine if we had DVR when we were growing up?! Ahhh....the innocence of childhood.

I found this recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healthy-banana-chocolate-chip-oat-muffins/) on one of my favorite sites and tweaked it a bit. Since it wasn't gluten free that was my first mission...I've tried many different flour mixtures and have discovered certain mixtures work best with certain types of baked goods. Since there were no spices included in the original recipe I tested a few different ones and this is what I came up with...

1 1/2 cups Pamela's Pancake & Baking Mix                
1 cup Trader Joe's G-Free Oats                                     
1/4 cup organic raw sugar                                            
1/4 cup honey                                                              
2 tsp baking powder                                                    
1 tsp baking soda                                                           
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 large organic eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1/4 cup skim/almond/soy milk
1 large extra ripe banana
2 tsp cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 400

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together (Pamela's, Oats, Sugar, Baking Powder & Soda)
Mix eggs until frothy, add honey, applesauce, skim (soy/almond) milk, and banana. 
Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until incorporated...add chocolate chips and cinnamon

Fill muffin cups until 3/4 full...bake for 16-18 minutes (turning pan halfway thru cooking time).
Cool a few minutes before transferring to wire racks. 
I got 15-17 muffins out of the batches I've made so far...depending how much you fill the cups before baking.
Store in fridge for up to 3 days and put remainder in freezer bags and freeze (for up to 2 months).

 

The boys and I enjoyed them for breakfast the following morning. Nick doesn't like bananas but he said these were really good (3 out of 3 stars in this house)!! The entire batch was gone 2 days later...between our boys and our neighbors the kids have emptied the plate...provides them with healthy banana and oats (2 things Maddox wouldn't eat alone)!!

Since my big guy is home sick from school today I might have some extra time to post a few more recipes! I have so many to share...although I haven't been posting I've been busy creating! I FINALLY got a KitchenAid Mixer for Mother's Day (wanted one for about 10 years now) and it has made everything so much easier. I was very happy to say goodbye to my cira 1982 hand mixer in the awful beige/yellow color (UGH). I'm awful as posting...life gets so busy and at the end of the day all I want to do is veg out with Nick for an hour before crashing for the night. If there were only a few more hours in the day...except on the days that seem to last forever of course! 

Live, Love, Laugh, Happy & Healthy 

~Bakingmamma


No comments:

Post a Comment