Friday, June 14, 2013

Dirty Dozen, Clean 15 & My Tips n' Tricks

This one's for you Carrie & KC

I don't buy everything organic...I follow the dirty dozen & clean 15 lists. I won't buy GMO produce so sometimes the only other option is organic (depending where you live/shop). The dirty dozen plus are a list of fruits/veggies that have been found to have larger amounts of pesticides, generally the fruit/veggie has thin skin so absorption into the fruit is easier. The Clean 15 list are the "safe" fruits/veggies that you don't need to buy organic because their pesticide level is fairly low. Here they are:


DIRTY DOZEN +

Apples
Celery
Cherry Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Grapes
Hot Peppers
Nectarines (Imported)
Peaches
Potatoes
Spinach
Strawberries
Sweet Bell Peppers
Kale & Collard Greens
Summer Squash
Blueberries (not technically on the list, they were removed but I still buy mine organic)

CLEAN 15 

Asparagus
Avocados
Cabbage
Cantaloupe
Sweet Corn (more on this later)
Eggplant
Grapefruit
Kiwi
Mangos
Mushrooms
Onions
Papayas
Pineapples
Sweet Peas (Frozen)
Sweet Potatoes

So, now what? You have the list...how do you make sure everything is clean and safe for your family to enjoy? As soon as I get home I fill my sink up with about a gallon of water. Add vinegar, usually about 3-4 cups. I put all my fruits and veggies in the water and allow them to sit for 15-20 minutes, usually just enough time for me to put the remainder of my groceries away. Then give them a clean water rinse, sit out to dry before putting them away. For smaller fruit, strawberries and blueberries for example, I use a bowl. Fill with water and add 1/8 to 1/2 cup of vinegar, sit for 15-20 min and rinse with clean water. This trick not only cleans off pesticides (up to 98% bacteria and pesticides) but it keeps my fruit/veggies fresher longer. When you spend the extra money for organic produce any little trick to make it last longer is totally worth it (IMO). 

You can also make a spray mix, I use this when we travel to make sure our fruits and veggies are clean. Mix 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Spray on fruit/veggies then rinse with water. Enjoy!!

Another trick I use is storage...not all fruits/veggies belong in the fridge. Where you keep them can make a difference in how long they stay fresh for you. Some release gas, others don't and not all of the gases they release are compatible. Have you ever opened your fridge and smelt something awful coming out of the bottom drawer? Only to look and see the veggies you bought days ago are no good? Most likely they were stored with other fruits/veggies that are giving off gasses that make them ripen faster/spoil. 

I know...another list! These are good lists though...using these tricks will help you save money. I can honestly say that since I've learned about this stuff I've been able to make small changes to our kitchen and we barely ever throw out fruits/veggies. Usually Brexton will enjoy a bite of something and not want anymore of it...I can only eat so many apples/pears in a day before I'm tired of them! If only I could find a refrigerator lock that would work at our house...problem solved. 

Refrigerate:

Apples
Apricots
Canteloupe
Figs
Honeydew 

Don't Refrigerate:

Avocados
Bananas (unripe)
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Plums
Tomatoes

Keep Away from all the above (gas releasers):

Ripe Bananas
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Lettuce (other greens, kale)
Parsley
Peas
Peppers
Squash
Sweet Potatoes
Watermelon

I hope this info will help with your next shopping trip. Little tricks like these have helped me keep my kitchen more organized and keep our food fresher longer. There is nothing worse than going to make your dinner and opening the fridge to find the pepper that you needed for your recipe is bad. I'm not going to the store, with 2 kids, in the late afternoon for a pepper...tips and tricks can hopefully help those situations disappear!







No comments:

Post a Comment